Is it still necessary to be concerned about asbestos?

By in

Asbestos-related mortality are at an all-time high, having nearly doubled since 1995, according to a new study by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE). As a result, the death toll from asbestos in the United Kingdom is estimated to be at a ‘crisis level,’ with 2,523 fatalities from mesothelioma alone.

While these figures are alarming, the number of asbestos-related deaths is likely to decline in the coming years. This is due to the fact that asbestos exposure is becoming less and less common now that the substance has been outlawed and the risks of asbestos have been extensively publicised.

Those who were exposed to asbestos throughout the preceding years are now succumbing to asbestos-related ailments that have steadily evolved over time. Asbestos was widely utilised in the UK until 1999. As a result, the majority of those who died were over 75 years old and 82 percent of them were male, as they had been exposed to asbestos as children.

Even yet, given that asbestos is no longer used in building, you might wonder if you should be concerned. Is it still as hazardous as it once was?

We address both of these concerns, as well as others, in this article, explaining why asbestos is still a problem today, just as it was when it was outlawed 20 years ago.

Asbestos is still widely used.
Despite the fact that asbestos is no longer used in construction, it may still be found in thousands of houses and structures. It won’t cause too much of a problem as long as it’s kept contained and undisturbed, but if you see it, you should have it inspected by an expert. Similarly, if you’re considering purchasing a new house, it’s a good idea to have it inspected before moving in.

Asbestos is only harmful if it is disturbed.
Asbestos poses a threat when its microfibres become airborne, which occurs only when it is disturbed. If you’re concerned that your house has asbestos, don’t be alarmed; the danger will only arise if the asbestos-containing construction material is destroyed.

Due to the small size of the fibres, determining whether or not asbestos is present can be challenging, thus only individuals with the relevant knowledge will be able to assist.

Asbestos-related diseases progress over time.
If you inhale asbestos microfibres by inadvertently, you won’t be able to know straight immediately. They become stuck in the lungs after being breathed and can cause harm over time. Because it’s sometimes impossible to tell if these fibres are present until it’s too late, avoiding asbestos contact as much as possible is the best method to avoid having an associated ailment.

If you have concerns that your house or building may contain asbestos, our skilled team at Crucial Environmental can assist you. Get in contact with us right away, and we’ll be able to provide you expert guidance on how to deal with the problem.

(0 votes. Average 0 of 5)
Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.